What happens at an initial assessment?
At the initial assessment following detailed questioning, observation and palpation, your physiotherapist will diagnose your condition and give you an explanation for the reason behind your pain. Sometimes this can be more complex than just a muscle tear or a joint sprain, however your Physiotherapist will explain this so you can fully understand your condition so you can join in on the treatment programme, which is key to success.
Following the assessment your physiotherapist will devise a treatment plan.
What a treatment plan may include:
- Education about your condition
- Advice to aid pain relief, recovery and prevent further injury
- A tailor-made exercise program specific to your injury and lifestyle
- Soft tissue massage/mobilisations
- Joint mobilisations
- Nerve mobilisations
- Muscle energy techniques
- Electrotherapy such as ultrasound
- Back care class